1. When is the best time to study abroad? Plan to go as early as possible in your college career. For example, go as a second semester sophomore. The advantage of doing this is that you will have general education credits available which you can earn overseas more easily than you can credits in your major. Also, if you choose to study abroad early and something goes wrong, then you will still have time to reschedule.
2. What semester is best for study abroad? You have a choice of fall, spring semester, January term, or full year programs, one-month summer programs at Lyon study abroad sites, and two-week trips usually scheduled in mid-to late May.
3. How long should I study abroad? The longer you study abroad the more benefits you will gain in language proficiency, intercultural skills, self-confidence etc. However, the choice depends on your individual circumstances. Think about how long you can be away from family, whether you need to work, whether you need to be on campus for certain required courses, and how much you can afford to spend above what you can get in scholarships.
4. Can I study abroad more than once? You can only get a grant from Lyon College once to study abroad, but, if you can cover the expenses yourself, you can study abroad more than once.
5. What should I study abroad? The simplest courses to find abroad and the ones which it makes most sense to study will be courses like history, art, language, and anthropology. It will be harder to find transferable credits in technical, business, and science-related subjects, and in most cases, it makes more sense to study those subjects in the U.S. The only exceptions would be in programs, such as those at the Vesuvian Institute in Italy, which are taught overseas by Lyon faculty.
6. How much will Lyon College provide in scholarships for study abroad? The Nichols Program will provide qualified students with $1800 for two-week Nichols trips, $2000 for one-month programs, and $3000 for course lasting from over one month to one year.
7. Are there other sources of support for study abroad. Yes, for study abroad lasting a month or longer, federal and state financial aid is available. Talk to the Financial Aid Office about this. There are also scholarships such as Gilman and Boren, which are explained in the scholarship section of this website.
8. When should I apply for a passport? Since you cannot travel overseas without a passport and since application processing times average about 6 weeks, you should apply as early as possible for a passport.
9. Do I need a visa to travel? Normally a visa is not required for short stays of a month or less in foreign countries. However, for semester and year-long programs, a student visa will be required and you can apply for one at the nearest consulate of the country to which you plan to travel.
10. What are the first steps I should take in order to study/travel abroad? First, read the information on this site about choosing a study abroad program, talk with your family and your academic advisor, and visit the International Education Office.